DEADLINE TO APPLY: December 10th, 2019
Interviews: December 11th-14th, 2019
Start date: January 2020
Scandinavian-American Theater Company (SATC) seeks an Artistic Director to manage and produce programming and advance the theater company in achieving its artistic mission. The position is designed to fill the role of Artistic Director for SATC when the current Co-Artistic Directors leave their positions at the end of 2019 to commit their time fully to the SATC Board of Directors.
This is a great opportunity to work with an enthusiastic, inclusive, creative team and have a key role in shaping the future of a forward-thinking, progressive and international theater company in New York.
About the Company
SATC is a critically acclaimed non-profit theater company founded to provide Scandinavian perspectives through the new generation of Scandinavian playwrights and theater artists. SATC’s focus is on presenting contemporary plays and inventive takes on the classics from the Nordic region, which includes Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Denmark, Greenland, and the Faroe Islands. SATC is committed to strengthening the relationship between Scandinavia and the United States through collaborations and interdisciplinary artistic exchange that examine and challenge the cultural status quo.
Since the company’s founding in 2009, we have produced 14 productions, 2 festivals and 54 readings in English, in collaboration with 60 playwrights and 27 directors from Scandinavia and the United States. In 2017, SATC started producing under the AEA Off-Broadway Transition Contract.
About the Artistic Director Position
The Artistic Director (AD) will primarily be responsible for conceiving, developing and implementing the artistic vision and programming of SATC. Furthermore, the AD will work closely with our development team to fundraise for upcoming seasons.
• Developing, implementing and evaluating artistic programming
• Working with the Literary Department in choosing plays for the artistic programming
• Working with the Board of Directors to create annual budgets and financial plans
• Leading the Development Team to create overall fundraising strategy, and set
• Working with the Development Team to write and oversee grant proposals, budgets, and reports
• Acting as a spokesperson for SATC’s artistic vision at company events
• Building artistic and organizational collaborations and partnerships as well as fostering good relations with other cultural organizations
• Managing all contracts with external agents, e.g. AEA, staff, vendors, artists and more
• Conducting yearly evaluations with the SATC team members
• Serve as primary liaison to the Board of Directors, making policy recommendations and providing avenues for board participation in accomplishing tasks
• Attending monthly company staff meetings
The ideal candidate will have:
• Professional experience working in/with a theater company
• Knowledge and passion for theater and the performing arts, as well as the New
York theater scene
• For purposes of evaluating scripts in their original Scandinavian language,
having a connection to Scandinavian culture and knowledge of a Scandinavian
language is a plus
• Project managing, communication and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others
• Hold a valid US working visa
As SATC’s funding is primarily project-based, all personnel including the Artistic Director are currently paid per project. SATC’s board of directors will be working with the new AD to expand the company’s funding sources to provide an annual wage in the near future. However, until then, it is understood that the AD and the rest of the SATC team need to supplement their project-based income with alternative sources outside of the company.
SATC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com .
(Subject line: AD ARTISTIC DIRECTOR). No calls, please.